Black Oil Sunflower Seeds
Grow black oil sunflower for its beautiful large flowers, or sprout the seeds for nutritious greens. Sunflower sprouts are not only delicious, they are incredibly nutritious as well.
Sprouting Black Oil Sunflower Seeds
For sprouting, soak the seeds for 4-8 hours and then replace the water 2-3 times a day (rinsing and draining). The sprouts will be ready to harvest in approximately 8-12 days.
How to Grow Black Oil Sunflowers
- Sunflowers prefer average to rich soil with a pH of 6 to 7.5.
- Sow seeds 1″ deep (2.5 cm) and 12″ apart; rows 30″ apart.
- Start the seeds outdoors outside after the risk of frost has passed.
- Keep the soil moist but never soggy (to prevent rot).
- When the plants are over 30 cm, water well but infrequently to encourage deep roots.
- Fertilize plants sparingly.