The common dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) is a highly nutritious, edible herb. Dandelion leaves and flowers are edible, and the roots are used for medicinal tea. The roots can also be used as a coffee substitute. Germination of dandelion seeds can take anywhere from 7-21 days.
How to Grow Dandelions
- It grows best in full sun but will tolerate partial shade.
Dandelions will tolerate most soil types, although they prefer well-drained, fertile soil with a pH of around 7.5.
- Surface sow dandelion seeds, as they require light to stimulate germination.
- The optimal temperature for germination is 25 C.
- Space 6 inches apart.
- Dandelion seeds can take 7-21 days to germinate.
- Leaves will mature in 80-95 days.
Dandelions are perennial herbs and require very little maintenance. For fertilizing, amend the soil with compost or manure each year.